1. Before the formation of the Dominican Republic and Haiti, the island was jointly named Hispaniola.
2. The Dominican Republic is the only country in the world to have an image of the Holy Bible on its national flag.
3. It is also the second-largest island in the Caribbean. Wondering which one is the largest? It is Cuba.
4. The country shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti, making Hispaniola the one island shared by two countries. The Dominican Republic occupies the eastern five-eighths of the island of Hispaniola while the western three-eighths of the island is occupied by the nation of Haiti.
5. Street signs and restaurant menus are written in Spanish, which is the country’s official language.
6. People of the country are very loyal to their families.
7. “Catedral de Santa Maria La Menor” in the Dominican Republic is believed to be the oldest cathedral in the Americas. It dates back to 1540. The cathedral can be visited in the capital city of the country – Santo Domingo.
The above basic information was quoted from: http://thefactfile.org/interesting-facts-dominican-republic/